Last year a similar group did a ride through Thailand and Cambodia. Experiences on that ride led to a desire to make a contribution to the local people. However difficulties in ensuring donated money would not go astray thwarted our attempts
On November 21, a group of Australian Medical Professionals and their friends will be attempting to ride 600km over 7days from Hua Hin to Phuket to raise money for the needy of Hua Hin. We are very aware of the plight of the local people and feel we can make some contribution.
We have partnered with The Bangkok Hospital Group and The Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce to assist us in the ride. Donated money will be channelled through these two groups to ensure it goes to the most deserving. So far we have raised over $US15000 with the prospect of more to come. The majority has come from the Doctors of The Mater Hospital Sydney with the rest being donated by St Vincent’s Mater Healthcare Sydney. The Bangkok Hospital Group will match what we raise. AustCham will hold contemporaneous events to promote the ride and attract support.
We will start at Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin at approx 10:30. We head south through Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ban Krut, Chumpon, Ranong, Khao Lak and then onto Surin Beach Phuket. We arrive Saturday November 27 about 5 pm.
There are 14 people doing the ride.
- Drs Peter Dodds (Anaesthetists)
- David Bollinger (Anaesthetists)
- Roger Levy (Anaesthetists)
- Mark Donnelley (Anaesthetists)
- David Goodie (Anaesthetists)
- Dr Enzo Lazarro (an Urologist)
- Dr Christine Castle (an Orthopaedic Surgeon)
- Dr Andrew Lawson (a Pain Specialist and Medical Ethicist from Great Britain)
- Cathy Quinlan (Nurse)
- Maree Ignativicus (Nurse)
- Antony Bennett (Director of a Medical Device Company)
- Darcie Corsie (Company Director)
- Karen Lancaster (Company Directors)
- Gavin Nelson (a Senior Executive in American Express)
We are very keen to work with the Bangkok Hospital Group and specifically Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin to provide support and better outcomes for Thai people.